Sour Cream Banana Bread is My New Go-To Bread Recipe!
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Ever made banana bread with sour cream? Try it out!
Baking a loaf of banana bread is my favorite way to use up overripe bananas that have been left on the counter too long! Plus, there’s nothing quite as comforting or cozy as a warm piece of banana bread from the oven. Am I right?! 😋
After sharing my favorite Nutella banana bread recipe, I’ve been wanting to try adding sour cream to banana bread. This is because I’ve heard how much sour cream can benefit the outcome of cakes and quick breads. It adds moisture without thinning the batter and creates a soft, creamy texture.
This recipe is also a breeze to make as the batter comes together in only one bowl — yay for no extra dishes to clean!
Are you a visual learner? I made a video to show how easy the process is when making banana bread with sour cream!
Hip tips when making banana bread with sour cream:
- Use overripe bananas that are past their prime so that the bread will have that stronger, sweet banana flavor and lots of speckles.
- This recipe is for one 1.5 quart-sized loaf pan, but feel free to double the ingredients if you are wanting to make two.
- Jazz up the bread however you like by adding in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or chocolate chips before baking. And if you’d like some extra zing, try adding in lemon zest!
- Instead of sour cream, you can use plain vanilla Greek yogurt or cream cheese!
- If you have ripe bananas that you froze before they went bad, they’ll make an awesome addition to this banana bread. Here are some other ideas for how to use overripe bananas.
Banana Bread with Sour Cream
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 50 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 5 MINUTES
Flavorful banana bread using sour cream to make it extra moist. It's also easy to make using just one bowl!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
This banana bread loaf smells and tastes so YUMMY!
I absolutely LOVED adding sour cream to banana bread and will continue to do so moving forward! My whole family enjoyed this easy recipe, and I think yours will, too. Enjoy!