How to Make the Best Buttercream Frosting Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Keep reading for the best buttercream frosting recipe!
Love to bake and want a buttery creamy frosting recipe?
Check out how to make the best buttercream frosting recipe! It’s so good and takes just a few minutes to whip up. When you’re in the mood to bake cupcakes, cakes, and homemade sugar cookies, keep this recipe on hand for fail-proof frosting that’ll taste 100% better than any store-bought version!
If you were to simply spread a flat layer rather than large swirls of frosting, I’m sure you could make this recipe go even further!
Any chocolate lovers in the house? 🍫
Easily make a yummy chocolate version of buttercream frosting! Add 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to this recipe.
Hip Tips for making the best buttercream recipe:
- Forgot to set out the butter? Check out this helpful hack for quickly softening cold butter! Heat a glass of water in the microwave, pour out the water, and set the cup upside down over a cold stick of butter and it will soften faster!
- Create less mess by covering the mixing bowl with a kitchen towel. Do you know that first puff of powdered sugar that creates a mess when mixing up frosting? Just throw a thin towel around the outside of the mixing bowl during those first initial seconds of mixing to avoid a mess.
- Add some color if desired! You can mix in a few drops of food coloring to achieve a colored frosting.
- This recipe works great to pipe on frosting using a pastry bag with a decorative tip. Or you can use a Wilton cake decorating tool as well!
Homemade Buttercream Frosting
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
Here's a creamy buttery frosting that whips up in just a few minutes!
For vanilla frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (if making chocolate buttercream)
Frosting is the BEST part of a cupcake!
I love how easy it is to make frosting yourself and customize your baked goodies. Everyone knows frosting is the best part, and this recipe won’t disappoint!
Use this buttercream recipe to top off your Christmas sugar cookies!