The Best Homemade Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Love to bake and want a buttery creamy frosting recipe?
Check out how to make the best buttercream frosting recipe! It’s so good, and takes just a few minutes to whip up. When you’re in the mood to bake cupcakes, cakes, and homemade sugar cookies, keep this recipe on hand for fail-proof frosting that’ll taste 100% better than any store-bought version!
This recipe amount could easily frost an entire cake, or 12 cupcakes if piping on frosting using a pastry bag. If you were to simply spread a flat layer of frosting on a cupcake, I’m sure it’d go a lot further and perhaps even frost 24 cupcakes.
- Forgot to set out the butter? Check out this helpful hack for quickly softening cold butter! Heat a glass of water in the microwave, pour out water, and set cup upside down over a cold stick of butter and it will soften fast!
- Create less mess by covering bowl with a kitchen towel. You know that first puff of powdered sugar that creates a mess when mixing up frosting? Just throw a thin towel around the outside of mixing bowl during those first initial seconds of mixing to avoid a mess.
- Add some color if desired! You can mix in a few drops of food coloring to achieve a colored frosting.
- This recipe works great to pipe on frosting using a pastry bag with a decorative tip! Check out this convenient Oodle Tip all in one disposable pastry bag with tip that you cut to desired width. I like to use these!
- Easily make a yummy chocolate version of buttercream frosting! Add 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to this recipe.
Homemade Buttercream Frosting
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
Here's a creamy buttery frosting that whips up in just a few minutes!
For vanilla frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
For chocolate frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
Frosting is the BEST part of a cupcake!
I love how easy it is to make frosting yourself and customize your baked goodies! Everyone knows frosting is the best part, and this recipe won’t disappoint!
Eating low carb? Learn how to make keto buttercream frosting on Hip2Keto.com!