The Best Christmas Cookies Start With Our Rolled Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Make Santa the best Christmas cookies this year with our rolled sugar cookie dough recipe.
Who doesn’t love a soft and chewy classic sugar cookie recipe?
Sugar cookies are so easy to make at home and don’t require a ton of ingredients. Making rolled cut-out sugar cookies is such a fun activity to do with the kids and perfect for every occasion!
If you’ve ever been disappointed when taking the time to roll out cookies, check out this simple recipe that’s one of my all-time favorites!
Homemade sugar cookies are the best dessert!
This is the recipe I use every year. It makes gorgeous cookie cutter-shaped cookies that are both delicious and easy to make. I love that these cookies come out soft, chewy, buttery, and perfect every time!
Tips for making sugar cookies with this easy rolled dough recipe:
- Great sugar cookies take chilling time, so be sure to allow 2 hours for that. This will help them keep their beautiful cookie cutter shape and not spread so much.
- Short on time? If you’re in a hurry, pop the dough in the freezer for 1 hour followed by 5 minutes to ever so slightly soften on your countertop, and it’ll work just as well!
- Sugar cookie dough freezes well! You can make this recipe up to 3 months ahead of time, store it in a freezer bag, and then thaw it out when you want to bake cookies. You can also cover and store baked sugar cookies in the freezer too. When ready, take them out of the freezer to thaw and decorate.
- If there’s a nut allergy, be sure to omit the almond extract. We love the fancy bakery taste the almond extract gives these cookies, but it’s easy to leave out.
- Prep a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. This will ensure your cookies won’t stick to the pan.
Sugar Cookie Dough for Cut Out Cookies
yield: 16 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 35 MINUTES
You'll love the flavor and simplicity of this easy to mold cookie dough.
Grab a glass of cold milk and enjoy a soft homemade cookie!
There’s nothing better than a soft, chewy sugar cookie. With this recipe, you’ll be making cookies like a pro for every holiday and occasion.
Some of my best and messiest memories are in the kitchen decorating cookies with my kids as little ones, and we still enjoy this activity even though they are now teens!
My Hip sidekick Emily made these delicious holiday treat, and here’s what she had to say about them:
“This is my first time making my own cookie dough for cutouts (Pillsbury has been assisting me all these years), and this is the BEST cookie I’ve probably ever had. Just enough sweetness while not tasting bland, and the almond extract is divine for that extra hint of flavor. I swapped the flour for King Arthur 1:1 gluten-free flour, and these still worked out perfectly.
They melt in your mouth while still having a crisp exterior, and they actually hold their cutout shape (no gingerbread blobs over here 😂). I was shocked, too, at how simple the recipe is…guess I won’t be needing to buy those pre-made dough rolls anymore!”
Pair some Crockpot Grinch Hot Chocolate with your cookies!