Chicken Fried Rice is an Easy to Make One-Skillet Dinner!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Later takeout 👋, this chicken fried rice recipe is a simple dinner idea to make at home!
If you’ve been in a dinner rut, here’s something easy to make that the family will love! The best part about making homemade fried rice is that you can toss in leftover rice, chicken, chopped fresh or frozen veggies, and you’re on your way to a seriously delicious one-skillet meal that’s convenient to make any night of the week.
Tips for making the best chicken fried rice:
- Leftover cold rice will always taste the best in chicken fried rice recipes because the grain firms up and won’t become mushy. Try to refrigerate cooked rice for at least 2 hours before starting. I use long-grain white rice when making mine.
- I am obsessed with using my Insignia rice cooker as it makes the most perfect rice without even having to boil water. Plus, I can make a bunch at a time, so I will make extra knowing that I can make fried rice later on in the week! Meal prep win! 🙌
- As far a protein, you can cook fresh chicken for it as I did or use chopped up leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. You could even try out leftover steak or pork. Additionally, you can omit the meat altogether and use more veggies to opt for vegetarian fried rice.
- Leftovers reheat well and can be covered in an airtight lid and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Chicken Fried Rice
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 35 MINUTES
This rice and chicken skillet meal is surprisingly simple and quick to make at home, no need to do takeout!
For the diced chicken:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/4 pound chicken raw chicken breast meat, diced into small pieces
For the fried rice:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 a medium sized onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, defrosted
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups cooked long grain white rice, cold
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 green onions sliced for garnish
Chicken fried rice is such a satisfying skillet meal!
My family LOVED this yummy dinner and I get way too excited when everyone agrees on a dinner that’s easy to make from scratch. 😂 Your kitchen will smell amazing too thanks to the sesame oil. YUM!
Check out what my teammate Jenna had to say about chicken fried rice:
“I LOVE that this is a one-pan meal! So simple to throw together and is now a family favorite! Plus it’s only a little prep: make some rice, and you’re ready to throw it all together. I love that it has the classic fried rice flavor we all know and love thanks to the fresh ginger paste and the soy sauce! This made enough for the whole family and I was able to have some for lunch the next day!”