Hack a Box Cake Mix to Taste Like it Came From a Fancy Bakery
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Try swapping these ingredients in for some store-bought box cake hacks!
Want to get that made-from-scratch taste from boxed cake mix?
Grab a store-bought cake mix and let’s get baking! Today I’m sharing a few easy tips on how to enhance a cheap box of cake mix to have it taste as if it came from a bakery. The best part? No one will be able to tell your cake started out with a $1 boxed mix that came from your pantry!
I love baking cakes in general, whether it’s from scratch or with a little help from the store-bought mixes. Sometimes it’s convenient and makes life easier to grab the cake mix. I am definitely a fan of keeping them on hand for quick cakes and easy dessert recipes!
I tested out these 3 common tips that are supposed to enhance a box of cake mix to make it taste more like a high-end bakery, inspired by this article from Insider.com. To really give these tips a fair test, I decided to also make one cake using the exact ingredients and directions from the box without doing anything additional.
Let’s just say my results were AMAZING using these simple box cake hacks!
Moving forward, this is definitely how I’ll be baking boxed cake! I was so excited about this that I even created a short video for ya.
Can’t see the video above? Check it out on YouTube!
Must-Try Box Cake Hacks:
- Instead of using water, use milk.
- Instead of using 3 eggs like the box calls for, use 5 eggs.
- Instead of using vegetable oil, use melted butter and double the amount suggested on the box.
Hip Tip: If you want it even moister, try adding a tablespoon of mayo!
On the cake with the enhancements, I noticed these differences:
- The cake’s batter was thicker in texture before baking.
- After baking, the cake was taller and fluffier.
- It had a noticeably softer and moist texture that was not crumbly at all in comparison.
- The taste was richer and honestly overall much BETTER and tastier.
Hip tips to consider when trying these box cake hacks:
- You can always use store-bought frosting to save on time, but if you’re looking for a super easy and delicious recipe, check out this buttercream frosting recipe. I doubled it here and used it to frost both cakes. SO good.
- I love a yummy box of yellow cake mix and that’s what I used for my testing, but you can try this on any flavor or brand you have on hand.
- Want to bake round cakes or cupcakes? I used the same suggested bake times on the box, so just reference it for other bake times.
Bakery-Style Cake From Boxed Cake Mix
yield: 10 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 28 MINUTES
total time: 43 MINUTES
Simple recipe swaps that will make your store-bought cake mix taste like it was made-from-scratch at a fancy bakery.
- 1 box of cake mix, around 15 oz., any brand & flavor
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
These small changes make a big impact on boxed cake results!
I was honestly kind of surprised that these little tweaks would result in such a great-tasting cake and one that would be noticeably better than the basic cake!
I did a taste test using my family by providing them a bite of each cake to tell me which one tasted better. Everyone picked the one using these cake hacks! My very favorite type of cake is a yellow cake with chocolate frosting, and this one won’t disappoint! Enjoy!
My team member and taste-tester extraordinaire Jenna had this to say:
“The differences you listed are all true! This had a nice, thick batter, and it was tall & fluffy, it was super soft and moist too, and not at all crumbly. And the best part? It was so rich and delicious! What an easy and fun hack! I used a yellow cake mix and I made two kinds of frosting. Half Old Fashioned Brown Sugar Frosting and half Vanilla Buttercream – YUM!”
Try this yummy strawberry cake next – it actually uses a box of cake mix, too!