If you’re looking for a treat to bake in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, check out these fun breast shaped sugar cookies using a heart cookie cutter! 🎀💓 These were made from my favorite yummy recipe for cutout cookies I use year round, but you could also use your favorite store-bought dough.
Breast Cancer Awareness Sugar Cookies
Rolled Cookie Dough Recipe Adapted from The Decorated Cookie
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (no substitutes)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (*optional, but yummy!)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
- With an electric mixer or hand mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and blend well.
- Add extracts and blend.
- Mix salt and flour together – gradually add.
- Knead into a ball.
- Cover dough and chill dough for about 2 hours (this step is a must!!)
- Working with about 1/3 of the batch at a time, briefly knead the chilled dough and roll about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out shapes with the dough.
- Cut the bottoms of the heart and place on parchment-lined baking trays, or silicone baking mats.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 12-14 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden. I love that these cookies come out soft, buttery and perfect! Yum!
This recipe made about 20 medium-sized hearts for me. It will depend on how big your cookie cutter is and how thick you roll the dough. This dough can be made ahead of time and freezes well too. Also, Check out this royal icing recipe via Wilton.com that I’ve used on my Breast Cancer Awareness Cookies.
To get the sharp outline around the outside of my cookies, I’ve used a sugar cookie decorating technique called “flooding” where you outline the cookie in royal icing with a pastry bag and then fill in the middle with a watered down royal icing using a plastic squeeze bottle. To learn more about this method and the equipment needed, click here for a great tutorial.
I finished by using a dot of store bought pink Cake Writing Gel for the nipples! 😊
This is a fairly simple design that’s definitely achievable!
I tried and failed miserably at more detailed cookies that had super cute bra type embellishments, but I’ll leave those to the professional cookie decorators! Haha 😂
These are such a fun idea if you’re having a Breast Cancer Awareness party or simply want to brighten someone’s day. 🌞
On a personal note: This post is dedicated to the brave warrior women in my life who are or have fought this battle! Also to all our Hip2Save readers who have been affected by Breast Cancer, we are thinking of you.💗
If you’re looking for another idea, check out these FUN Mammo-Grahams treats! 🎀
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s DIY/Crafts created just for Hip2Save, click here.