Make Cookies from Your Favorite Boxed Cake Mix With This Simple Hack
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Cake mix cookies are just about the easiest dessert ever!
Did you know that you can take your favorite boxed cake mix and use it to make all kinds of yummy cookies? Just half a cup of melted butter and two eggs are all you need to turn that cake mix into a batch of cookies! You can also add endless combinations of mix-ins and toppings, opening up a whole new world of cookie possibilities. YUM!
Our very own Lina was a cake box-hacking pioneer years ago, long before it was trending! She took a red velvet cake mix and turned it into soft, chewy Red Velvet Cookies with the addition of just a few ingredients.
Recently, we tried this hack with a few different boxed cake mixes, and the results were SO good with every single mix we tried! The cookies shown above were made with a box of devil’s food cake mix and melted Andes mints on top. They were AMAZING.
Today, we’re sharing the base recipe for this simple cake mix cookies hack below, so that you can experiment and customize it to your liking. Keep reading for some fun variations that you can use to put your own spin on this easy baking trick!
Cake Mix Cookies
yield: 24 SERVINGS
prep time: 5 MINUTES
cook time: 12 MINUTES
total time: 17 MINUTES
Make your favorite boxed cake mix into a batch of cookies with the simple addition of just 2 ingredients!
- Boxed cake mix of your choice, 15.25oz
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
This is such an easy kitchen hack, and a creative way to expand the horizons of that boxed cake mix you have sitting in your pantry. We have yet to find a cake mix that doesn’t also make a yummy batch of cookies!
Here are a few of the different cake mix cookies variations we tried:
Rainbow Confetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Use a box of confetti cake mix to prepare the dough from the Easy Cakebox Cookie recipe shown above.
- Add sprinkles to the tops of cookies before they go into the oven, and bake according to the recipe.
- You could also bake the cookies first and then add frosting and sprinkles to them after they’ve cooled!
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Use a box of lemon cake mix to prepare the dough from the Easy Cakebox Cookie recipe shown above.
- Then, add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon zest to the dough, and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 15-20 minutes so that it’s easier to work with.
- Scoop refrigerated dough into balls, then roll into powdered sugar.
- Bake according to the recipe, until cookies are set but not brown.
Andes Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies (our favorite variation!)
- Use a box of devil’s food cake mix to prepare the dough from the Easy Cakebox Cookie recipe shown above, and bake according to the recipe.
- Place an unwrapped Andes mint on top of each cookie as they come out of the oven, while they’re still hot. You could also chop them up into pieces to sprinkle on top.
- As the warm cookies melt the mints, gently spread the melted candies around using a fork so that they cover the top of each cookie.
So go on – grab your favorite box of cake mix and bake some cookies! If you’ve ever tried this hack, please share your favorite cake mix to use in the comments below. Happy baking! 🍪
This other boxed cake mix hack will make your desserts taste like they came from a fancy bakery!