This Chili Frito Pie Will Become a Family Favorite Casserole!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Ground beef, beans, and pantry staples make a hearty chili Frito pie recipe.
If you’re a fan of Fritos corn chips, check out this delicious dinner idea!
This hearty casserole has a flavorful chili filling with ground beef, beans, and enchilada sauce with layers of Fritos chips for a satisfying cheesy meal.
It could be a great game day meal, or simply a family pleaser to make any day of the week. The chili portion itself is very similar to my favorite comforting Ranch chili recipe that’s also very easy to make using pantry staples such as canned Rotel tomatoes and Ranch-Style beans.
As a result, the combo of crunchy corn chips and melted Southwest-inspired cheesy chili is the best! The chips at the bottom become softer in the oven and incorporate a satisfying corn flavor. Garnish a plate with your favorite toppings like sour cream, cilantro, and jalapeno for a filling meal all will enjoy. 😋
Chili Frito Pie
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 45 MINUTES
Hearty casserole featuring Frito chips at the bottom with ground beef chili and cheese.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 9.25 oz. bag Fritos corn chips, divided
- 15 oz. can ranch-style beans, undrained (such as Black Label brand)
- 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 10 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- additional garnish ideas: jalapeños, cilantro, green onion, sour cream, guacamole
Tips for making the best chili Frito pie:
- I used ground beef, but of course, ground turkey would be delicious instead. Use whichever appeals to you or is least expensive! You could even consider skipping meat and opting for more beans and veggies for a meatless pie.
- This idea is very easy to customize to taste. Add jalapenos for more spice, or perhaps use the spicy Rotel tomatoes. Next time I may add in some corn for additional flavor.
- Leftovers will last for around 3-4 days stored in a covered container in the fridge.
All in all, chili Frito pie is comfort food to the max!
This is a great alternative to serving chili as a brothy soup. My family was totally on board with this delicious ground beef casserole and I know yours will be too!
Here’s what my sidekick Jenna had to say after making my chili Frito pie:
‘This was such an amazing dish! I could not get enough of this! So easy to make and the kids loved it as much as I do! I love getting to customize it with my favorite toppings and making dinner with Fritos? Yes please! I enjoyed every bite and my family asked me to make it again!”