Be a Dinnertime Hero With One-Pot Old-Fashioned Goulash!
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Use pantry staples to create an easy yet filling ground beef and pasta meal that’s comforting and delicious.
Need something to make for dinner tonight that’ll please everyone AND please your wallet?
This old-fashioned goulash recipe is the ticket! It’s a comforting homemade made meal using simple ingredients you most likely already have on hand. It’s one of those meals you can definitely customize, season to taste and add to as desired. You’ll be the hero of dinnertime with this cheesy pasta ground beef goodness!
For starters, what is goulash exactly?
Goulash (stemming from Hungarian) is a dish originating from medieval Hungary. Traditionally, it’s a stew of meat and vegetables with spices. It’s not only a popular Central European meal, but it’s one of the national dishes of Hungary.
This old-fashioned American version here features a very comforting simmered tomato sauce seasoned with paprika, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. It features ground beef, onion, garlic, and elbow pasta to make it a tasty one-pot meal everyone gets excited about.
If you’d like to include more veggies simply chop up your favorites and sauté along with the onions and meat. I love the idea of adding chopped zucchini and bell peppers.
More tips for making the best Goulash:
- Money-saving tip: My grocery store has a section of clearance meat that is nearing the sell-by date. My ground beef was half off, making this family-sized meal under $20, which is great for a whole pot of goulash! Ground turkey or sausage would also be yummy alternatives instead.
- Topping this with cheese at the end is optional but definitely makes it over the top YUMMY!
- The consistency turns out a little thicker, more like a casserole than a soup.
- The leftovers are so tasty, as Goulash is one of those recipes that’s perfect to batch cook on a Sunday and send out as lunch leftovers during the week. I also like having extras for dinner served with bread and salad.
- You can even add flavors for an ethnic flair. For a taco-flavored goulash, add my taco seasoning blend recipe!
- Every time I open a bunch of cans, I have to mention my favorite safe-cut can opener from Amazon.com! It stays sharp and makes perfect cuts that are not sharp. It’s pretty amazing, and multiple Hip team members have also purchased it!
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
Make this easy goulash recipe that is hearty and filling! Kids love this pasta flavorful dish.
- 1 and 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2- 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2- 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups elbow macaroni pasta, uncooked
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby/Cheddar)
This easy budget-friendly goulash was so good and a big hit at my house!
What an easy and comforting family meal. The leftovers were yummy, too! My kids even like this, and it’s such a fun meal for busy weeknights. Enjoy!
Try this Sheet Pan Chicken Pot Pie next!