Here’s How to Make the Best Homemade Flour Tortillas – It’s Easy!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Looking for a yummy homemade flour tortillas recipe?
Take taco night dinners to the next level by making some yummy homemade flour tortillas at home! They’re actually surprisingly easy to make, and require simple and inexpensive ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Plus, the homemade version is a million times better than what you’ll find at the store — I promise!
Making tortillas involves mixing a simple dough and then breaking it up into smaller sized balls to roll into circles. I have used my KitchenAid stand mixer to make the dough, or just a bowl and wooden spoon — both methods work great!
I’ve made this flour tortillas recipe too many times to count and always love the results.
Here are my tried-and-true tips for making the best homemade flour tortillas:
- Roll out your tortillas on a floured surface using a rolling pin or use a cast iron tortilla press as I do. I like the tortilla press because I find that it makes a more symmetric pretty circle than I can roll, and I really enjoy using it! I also use parchment paper in between the top and bottom of the tortilla press to avoid sticking.
- I usually use vegetable oil or butter to make tortillas, but you can use shortening or even coconut oil if desired.
- Make sure not to overcook the tortillas. When I first started making them, I had a tendency to overcook – and they won’t turn out as soft. About a minute on each side is usually all you need.
- Keep tortillas warm in a kitchen towel or inside a tortilla warmer after cooking them.
- Homemade flour tortillas are for sure best made fresh and eaten right away. I will sometimes split this recipe in half if I’m in a hurry and I know I will only need 8 tortillas, as this recipe will make 16 eight-inch round tortillas.
- Store leftovers in an airtight bag for up to a few days and reheat in the microwave with a damp paper towel. Readers have said these freeze well, although I have not personally tried yet (they go too quickly in my house to have a chance to freeze!).
Homemade Flour Tortillas
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 16 MINUTES
total time: 36 MINUTES
Make these soft and warm tortillas for tacos, fajitas, or just spread on some butter. Yum!
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (you can also use lard, shortening, or sliced butter)
- 1 cup hot water
Homemade flour tortillas are so delicious and so easy!
I can eat plain homemade flour tortillas as is with some butter on top! Yum!