Here’s How to Easily Make Old-Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes From Scratch!
Need a tried and true pancake recipe to make for breakfast?
Learning how to make pancakes from scratch is not only easy and delicious, but it’s a great life skill to pass on to your kids or grandkids! Sometimes I reach for a convenient pancake mix, but then there are times when I’m really in the mood for some GOOD old-fashioned fluffy pancakes from scratch that are truly special. 🥞
Homemade pancakes with real maple syrup are the ultimate breakfast comfort food!
Here’s a great recipe that I’ve loosely modified from AllRecipes.com that we have been using to create beautiful & yummy pancakes on lazy Sunday mornings at home. I love when the mood is chill and life manages to slow down just a bit to enjoy the cooking process of from-scratch pancakes on the griddle.
Eating keto? If so, check out Collin’s favorite keto fluffy pancakes using almond flour!
Tips for learning how to make pancakes from scratch:
- I have struggled in the past with making perfect circle-shaped pancakes, but I did come across a tip to pour the batter from the top down only in the middle, and then they will naturally spread in a circle. Instead of swirling your pour to form a circle, don’t move it! Just pour steadily in the middle and let the circle happen. Try it—it really works!
- Make sure to grab baking powder for this recipe and not baking soda! It’s one of the reasons the results are so fluffy, and also make sure your baking powder isn’t expired for the best results.
- You can of course use a traditional kitchen whisk, but I have been using my new Danish dough whisk to mix up pancake batter and homemade bread lately and LOVE how well it works! It is so much easier to clean too!
- If you are looking for a great all-purpose mixing bowl, check out this glass Anchor Hocking batter bowl that is my absolute fave must-have bowl in the kitchen!
- This recipe makes eight 4-inch-sized pancakes. It would be easy to just double the ingredients for a larger family. Leftovers can be stored covered in the fridge for 3-4 days, or stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Old-Fashioned Fluffy Homemade Pancakes
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
Fluffy buttery pancakes from scratch that old-fashioned comfort food dreams are made of!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
Add some extra butter and real maple syrup, and these from-scratch pancakes are spectacular!
Move over IHOP because these pancakes make an insanely delish breakfast. 🤤 The best part is this one-bowl recipe is easy enough for my older kids to make on their own as they develop more cooking and kitchen skills. You can of course use this recipe as a base and incorporate any desired add-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, and fruit as desired into the batter. Enjoy!
Here’s what my teammate Jenna had to say about these homemade pancakes:
“This recipe is everything pancakes should be! They are fluffy, easy to make, and so tasty. I have been using the same pancake recipe for going on 20 years now, and I like this even better Just simple ingredients and it all comes together beautifully. These cooked to perfection on my griddle and everyone loved them… I mean, how could they not when covered in maple syrup no less!”