These mini corn dogs are full of flavor
If you love the taste of corn dogs, you are going to love this easy baked homemade recipe for mini corn dog muffins! These corn dog muffins are a crowd-pleaser, especially with kids. And, they make a great football-watching snack for all of those big games! Actually, these mini corn dog muffins are great any time.
Mini Corn Dog Muffins
(Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)
1/2 cup melted butter (or 1/4 cup butter + 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8-10 all-beef hot dogs, cut into 1″ bites (Pictured are Open Nature brand nitrate free all beef hot dogs)
- Wisk together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and stir well.
- Add buttermilk and continue to wisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt, and stir to combine. Whisk into wet ingredients in two batches.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray, and spoon 1 Tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup.
- Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each muffin cup.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes at 375 degrees or until cornbread is golden brown.
- Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before serving. Makes around 36 mini corn dog muffins
My kids were seriously impressed with these! In fact I heard “This is the best thing ever, Mom.” 🙂 If you happen to have any left over, they do well reheated and are still yummy. Enjoy!
Did you know?
It is a little difficult to pinpoint the origins of the corn dog. Some believe they are the creations of German sausage makers who arrived in Texas only to discover the local people didn’t much like the kinds of sausages they were making back in Germany. So, they fried a hot dog sausage in a thick cornmeal batter. Others say it was created at the Pronto Pup in Portland, Ore., in 1941. Then, there is a patent dating back to 1927 for a holding apparatus that appeared to have been used to impale things and deep fry them … like a corn dog.
So, from where did the corn dog come? We don’t know, but how about making a batch of mini corn dogs that come from your kitchen?
[h2s_box]Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 small kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s recipes created just for Hip2Save, click here.[/h2s_box]