Make a Yummy Nutella Mug Cake For One in the Microwave!
Anyone here up for a single-serve mug cake? How about one with Nutella?! 🤤
A mug cake is a quick and easy treat to whip up when your sweet tooth is craving something extra delicious. Better yet, it’s definitely a more effortless option compared to baking an entire cake in the oven. When the mood strikes, this mug cake warms up in the microwave in just 80 seconds!
Some food trends don’t pass the taste test!
We’ve shared some of the latest viral recipes, but not all of them have worked out in our recipe testing kitchen. One in particular was the popular 3-ingredient mug cake idea using only Nutella, flour, and an egg. In my opinion, this oversimplified mug cake looked beautiful but had a rubbery texture and odd taste.
So I was on a mission to come up with a delicious alternative! I honestly made so many mug cakes testing varying amounts of these ingredients, I kind of overdid it on eating mug cakes.. well for a while at least! 😂
Hooray for a Nutella mug cake that actually tastes fabulous!
By adding a few more easy pantry ingredients, you can now expect to unveil a warm, gooey, decadent cake to enjoy whenever you’d like! The results are delicious and well worth the small amount of extra effort.
Recipe tips to keep in mind when making Nutella mug cake:
- Cooking times may vary depending on the microwave you have — 80 seconds was perfect for mine. If it’s not done in that timeframe, add another 15 seconds at a time until your desired consistency is achieved.
- To avoid any cake sticking to the mug, you can lightly rub some coconut oil in the cup, however, you shouldn’t experience too much sticking without it.
- Make sure to use a big enough mug or microwave-safe bowl for this recipe. I used a large 16 oz. cappuccino mug and it worked perfectly!
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an over-the-top delicious dessert for one. I had everyone in my family taste test this recipe and we all agreed it tastes better warm with ice cream! 🍨
Nutella Mug Cake
yield: 1 SERVINGS
prep time: 8 MINUTES
cook time: 2 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
Easy brownie-like cake in a mug using the microwave! Serve warm with ice cream.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
This mug cake almost tastes like a chocolate lava cake!
The chocolate and hazelnut taste is more subtle, yet so delish! Although this is written for one, it could be big enough to share. Enjoy!
Here’s what my teammate Jenna said after making this Nutella mug cake:
“I can honestly say, each of Lina’s desserts impresses my kids more and more! I’ve never heard my son so excited about a dessert, at least since the cake pops. He didn’t believe me that it took about 2 minutes to make! It’s so good! At my house, we eat Nutella on pretty much everything, so to say we are fans is an understatement. This process was so easy, I would trust the kids to make this themselves! I love, love, love that everything is just mixed up in the mug! YUM!”
Have Nutella leftover? Make this whipped drink!