Quick Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
If you’re finding yourself with extra ham from the holidays, check out this delicious and easy weeknight ham and bean soup recipe!
Ham makes a flavorful starter for a simple 40 minute or less soup!
If you’re looking for a very simple yet tasty last-minute “Oops I Didn’t Plan Dinner Tonight” kind of recipe, check out this easy ham and bean soup using leftover ham, beans, and veggies! It’s super comforting and hearty with very minimal ingredients and effort.
Use this basic recipe as a guide and feel free to improvise from your pantry!
You could alter ham and bean soup to your taste by adding add other veggies such as kale and green beans. The smoky and salty flavor of the ham adds so much flavor so it doesn’t really need much seasoning. You can also substitute the type of beans with canned beans you already have on hand such as navy beans or pinto beans!
Other helpful tips to consider when making ham and bean soup:
- Have leftover mashed potatoes? Add some in to thicken the soup if desired!
- Crockpot Directions: Add all the ingredients, except for parsley to the slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low for about 6 hours or high for about 3 hours. Add the parsley and serve warm.
- This soup will stay good for 3-4 days stored in the fridge. The leftovers are delicious when warmed up!
Ham & Bean Soup
yield: 7 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
This hearty ham and bean soup is a quick one-pot meal using canned beans and leftover ham.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cans (15.8 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
Take a break from tedious holiday cooking and make this one-pot soup!
Last year I made ham and bean soup using leftover Honey Baked Ham Co spiral ham and it was over-the-top delicious. My family usually isn’t super thrilled when I serve soup in general, but they LOVED this one and the leftovers were great warmed up the next day as well.
Serve with some crusty bread and enjoy!