Our Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe is the Best Make-Ahead Breakfast!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Whether you call it sausage breakfast casserole or egg and cheese strata, here’s an easy and delicious brunch recipe.
Need a delicious breakfast recipe for a gathering or lazy Sunday?
In our home, this savory egg and sausage breakfast casserole is one of our favorites to serve on Easter or during the holidays, but simple enough for any brunch occasion. It’s such an easy make-ahead meal to prep the night before in a 9×13 casserole dish, and then put in the oven the next morning.
The result is a bubbly egg, cheese, and sausage breakfast casserole with melted cheese topping and delicious fluffy bread crust at the bottom. It all caramelizes together for a warm comforting texture. I add a can of green chiles to my casserole for a mild spicy flavor, although that is optional of course!
Tips for perfecting our egg and sausage breakfast casserole recipe:
- I love that this basic recipe can be customized to different meats and veggie combos your family prefers. Breakfast ground sausage (or link sausage) is what we normally use. Ham or bacon would be yummy as well.
- If you have a day-old loaf of French bread, this is a great way to use it up. Otherwise, it’s easy to slice and toast for a few minutes in the oven first. I use 6 slices which ends up being about half a grocery store loaf of French bread. In a pinch, I have used white sandwich bread instead!
- This can be baked immediately or compiled up to a day ahead of time and then placed in the oven to bake first thing in the morning (I normally do the latter).
- Eating Keto? Be sure to check out our keto Crockpot breakfast casserole on our sister site Hip2Keto.com!
- Leftovers are delicious warmed up the next day in the microwave and can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES
Here's a cheesy sausage and egg dish with fluffy French bread crust that is perfect to share as breakfast or brunch.
- 1 pound ground Italian or breakfast sausage
- 6 slices of French bread sliced, toasted, torn into pieces
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small 4 oz can roasted mild green chilies
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Sausage breakfast casserole is a perfect potluck dish!
You can prepare a pan with sausage and one with bacon as a different variation, and they travel well in a casserole dish. I usually serve it alongside fruit and sometimes a sweet option like cinnamon rolls for a yummy brunch. Enjoy!
See how my teammate Stacy makes a low carb version of this breakfast casserole:
“I make this idea without the bread and it’s still very good. In fact, it’s my go-to recipe for using up leftover ham after holiday dinners! It can be done with almost any meat, but my family loves it when I used chopped-up ham. It is such a forgiving recipe, and the result is always yummy! Bonus – it makes enough for a couple of breakfasts so that’s a definite win in my family.”