How to Make Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burrito Pouches | Perfect for Busy Mornings
Looking for a hearty breakfast idea that everyone will love?
Breakfast burritos are one of my family’s favorite meals! They also happen to be such a great option if you are looking for meals that you can prepare in advance to enjoy at a later time as these burritos can be made ahead of time, placed in the freezer, and then reheated at your convenience.
I’m a fan of anything that makes busy weekday mornings easier and more delicious!
The only downside to freezing burritos is the tortilla’s texture is never quite the same as a fresh tortilla once it is re-heated. However, I recently discovered an interesting way to easily re-heat these frozen breakfast burritos that prevents the tortilla from becoming soggy.
It’s called the pouch method.
I tried it with success, and you should too!
With the pouch method, you store just the filling in individual freezer sandwich bags and freeze them.
Then when you’re ready for a burrito, place the frozen filling on a plate (minus the bag) and warm it up in the microwave for a few minutes. Then you can just roll up the filling inside a fresh tortilla, and enjoy!
The best part about this idea is that ALL the ingredients can be catered to your family’s taste and dietary needs. We love the bacon, potato, cheese, and egg combo in our burritos so that’s the type of breakfast burritos I’ll be making today!
Components of a Winning Breakfast Burrito:
- Breakfast Meat: Feel free to use bacon, sausage, chorizo, or skip the meat altogether and add beans or veggies.
- Potatoes: You can make delicious seasoned potatoes by first steaming chopped potatoes, and then pan frying them with onion and bell peppers. If you want to take a shortcut by preparing frozen tater tots or frozen hash browns, that’s an option too.
- Eggs: We’ll be scrambling eggs for these burritos. Make sure not to overcook them as they’ll cook again during the re-heating process.
- Cheese: You can use any shredded style cheese you’d like. I’m using a cheddar/Monterrey Mexican blend, but I think using some pepper jack cheese would also add lots of flavor if you like spicy.
Bacon Egg and Potato Breakfast Burrito Pouches
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
Here's how to make-ahead delicious bacon and egg burrito filling to reheat later for quick and easy breakfast burritos!
- 1 lb. bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. red potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (from the jar)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- 10 inch flour tortillas (for serving)
NEATO BURRITO! These are so good.
Even if you’re not wanting to freeze this burrito filling and you’re just craving tasty breakfast burritos – give these a try! The seasoned potatoes are insanely yummy, and pair so well with the bacon and eggs. Dish it up with your favorite salsa and you’re good to go!
Hip Tip: Even though homemade fresh salsa is BEST, if you’re needing an excellent jarred salsa recommendation my family is currently loving Mateo’s Gourmet salsa! I get it from Walmart or Costco and it’s YUM!