Busy Mornings? Try This Freezer Breakfast Burritos Pouch Hack!
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
No more soggy tortillas. Learn the secret behind these easy freezer breakfast burritos w/ this make-ahead recipe! They’re the perfect meal prep breakfast burritos!
If breakfast burritos are one of your favorite meals too, listen up!
They also happen to be such a great option if you are looking for meals that you can prepare in advance to enjoy at a later time. These burritos can be made ahead of time, placed in the freezer, and then reheated at your convenience.
I’m a fan of anything that makes busy weekday mornings easier and more delicious!
The only downside to freezing burritos is the tortilla’s texture when reheating.
In my opinion, it’s never quite the same as a fresh tortilla once it has been re-heated. However, here’s an interesting way to easily re-heat these frozen breakfast burritos that prevent the tortilla from becoming soggy.
It’s called the pouch method. I tried it with success, and you should, too!
With this method, you freeze just the filling in individual freezer sandwich bags.
Then when you’re ready for a burrito, place the frozen filling on a plate (minus the bag) and warm it up in the microwave for a few minutes. Then you can just roll up the filling inside a fresh tortilla, and enjoy!
If you find the microwave makes the burrito soggy, you could also throw it in the air fryer to avoid sogginess.
The best part about this idea is that ALL the ingredients can be catered to your family’s taste and dietary needs. We love the bacon, potato, cheese, and egg combo in our burritos, so that’s the type of breakfast burritos I usually make.
Bacon Egg & Potato Breakfast Burrito Pouches
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
Here's how to make ahead a delicious bacon, egg, and potato burrito filling to reheat later for quick and easy breakfast burritos!
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound red potatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- 12 inch flour tortillas (for serving)
More tips for these make ahead breakfast burritos:
- Breakfast Meat: Feel free to use bacon, sausage, or chorizo; skip the meat altogether and add beans & veggies.
- Potatoes: Make delicious seasoned potatoes by first steaming chopped potatoes, and then pan-frying them with onion and bell peppers. You can take a shortcut by preparing frozen tater tots or frozen hash browns, too.
- Eggs: We’ll be scrambling eggs for these burritos. Consider slightly undercooking them, as they’ll cook again during the re-heating process.
- Cheese: You can use any shredded-style cheese you’d like. I’m using cheddar and Monterrey Mexican blend, but I think using some pepper jack cheese would also add lots of flavors if you like spicy.
Freezer breakfast burritos are so good! 🌯
Even if you’re not wanting to freeze this burrito filling and you’re just craving tasty breakfast burritos – give these a try! The seasoned potatoes are insanely yummy, and they pair so well with the bacon and eggs. Dish it up with your favorite salsa and you’re good to go!
PS – This doesn’t have to be reserved for just breakfast — I can enjoy a breakfast burrito for any meal. 😉