The Best Vanilla Wacky Cake Recipe | Eggless, Dairy-Free, and Vegan!
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This vanilla wacky cake recipe, first popular during the Depression era, has no eggs or dairy and requires just one bowl.
Need a quick one-bowl cake that’s super easy to make for dessert?
Try making this simple Vanilla Crazy Cake, Wacky Cake, or some call it Depression Cake. It was popular to make cakes like this during the Depression era when eggs, butter, and milk were harder to come by.
Because it omits dairy and eggs, our Vanilla Crazy Cake recipe can also be a great option for those who have food allergies or follow a vegan diet. The best part—it’s a very affordable cake to make from scratch when you don’t have to buy eggs and butter!
What it’s not missing, however, is deliciousness!
This is an incredibly decadent cake to consider as an EASY-to-bake treat because you can just mix it up in one bowl, and pop it in the oven.
Vanilla Wacky Cake with Dairy-Free Frosting
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 45 MINUTES
This quick, eggless, non-dairy vanilla cake comes together in just a few minutes for an allergy-friendly dessert.
For the vanilla cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
For the non-dairy vegan vanilla buttercream frosting:
Hip Tips for making the best vanilla crazy cake:
- Why use vinegar in a cake? The vinegar reacts with the baking soda and helps the cake rise, and although this has a pretty thin batter, the cake will rise.
- This recipe makes two 9-inch round cakes for a nice layered vanilla crazy cake, as pictured. If you’d like to cut the recipe in half and make only one layer, simply follow the same directions, but cut the ingredients in half.
- Don’t forget to grease your cake pans first. I even like to line the bottom with parchment paper as well to avoid any sticking.
- For a chocolate-flavored cake, add 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder when adding in the dry ingredients to produce a delicious chocolate-y variation. Some readers also like replacing the water with brewed coffee when making a rich chocolate cake. ☕️
- Feel free to reduce the sugar from 2 cups to 1 1/2 cups or even try just 1 cup of sugar. Once you frost the vanilla crazy cake, you won’t even be able to tell!
- You could use avocado oil or vegetable oil. Avocado oil has a very mild taste similar to vegetable oil.
Crazy cake is crazy GOOD and crazy EASY to bake!
Seriously, you won’t be missing those eggs. The texture is fluffy and moist – and the taste is YUM! My family loved the frosting too and didn’t even ask if it was vegan or dairy-free. This vanilla crazy cake is picky-eater-approved, sweet, and so simple to make. I’m calling it a win for sure. Enjoy!
Here’s what my teammate Emily had to say about this vanilla crazy cake:
“This is the perfect, easy cake recipe that comes together in no time at all. It’s practically foolproof and you probably already have all the ingredients on hand to make it! It made me think of a Costco cake! I loved the frosting. It’s so good, I caught my husband taking bites directly from the cake instead of slicing himself a piece!”