Move Over Whipped Coffee, It’s Time For Whipped Hot Chocolate!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Whipped drink recipes are continuing to be popular in fall/winter!
This summer we enjoyed trying all of the tasty and trendy whipped beverages that were made popular thanks to TikTok including iced whipped Dalgona coffee, whipped strawberry milk, and we even shared a whipped Nutella drink.
Now that the weather is starting to cool down, consider mixing up a whipped hot chocolate for a cozy comforting drink at home the whole family will enjoy this fall and winter!
We made this hot chocolate on Instagram here…
The general idea for this drink is to first whip up a rich sweet chocolate mixture using unsweetened chocolate and a bit of whipped heavy cream, and then pour it over some warm steamed milk. You can then top it with marshmallows, sprinkles, chocolate chips, or even a drizzle of chocolate syrup. That part is up to you!
Tips for making the best whipped hot chocolate:
- If you want to use hot chocolate mix instead of using unsweetened cocoa and sugar, that could be another option to consider.
- As far as whipping, I like to use my hand mixer using the whisk attachment and find that it yields nice stiff peaks and a satisfying whipped texture.
- For the steamed milk, I used skim, but try this using any type of milk you’d prefer, and one that meets your dietary needs. I also am using a plug-in Aeroccino hot/cold milk frother that came with my Nespresso espresso machine to warm and froth my milk, but you can heat up milk on the stove or microwave instead.
- This is written as a hot drink, but of course, this could be a great iced cold whipped chocolate drink instead by simply not heating the milk, and adding ice.
Whipped Hot Chocolate
yield: 1 SERVINGS
prep time: 5 MINUTES
total time: 5 MINUTES
A rich-tasting whipped chocolate mixture served on top of steamed milk, it's a viral hot drink all ages will love!
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup steamed or warmed milk
- any topping like marshmallows, sprinkles, ect.
Add unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, whipping cream, and vanilla extract to a medium-sized measuring cup or bowl.
Whip using a hand mixer and whip attachment until peaks form and mixture is smooth. This could take a minute or so. Add 1/4 teaspoon cream or water if it's too thick.
Heat up or froth a cup of milk. Add a drizzle of chocolate syrup to the cup first if desired, as I did. Then pour the milk into the mug.
Add chocolate mixture to the top and stir. Add marshmallows or any other desired toppings. Serve warm and enjoy!
This chocolate drink is so whippin’ GOOD!
I love that whipped hot chocolate uses just a few simple ingredients from the pantry and fridge, and it’s an easy recipe to follow. My teen and preteen kids have already made it a couple of times and enjoy it as much as the TikTok whipped coffee drink! It’s very rich and so creamy.
Check out what my Hip teammate Jenna had to say:
We had fun with this one and will definitely be making this again! It was so easy to put together and I love that you can just add it to warm milk. So fun that you can customize with the toppings! We used marshmallows and chocolate syrup like in the post, so good!
Make Grinch-themed hot chocolate in the Crock-Pot slow cooker this Christmas!
YES! It’s so tasty 😋 enjoy!
I’m going to try this later using Splenda for a sugar-free version!
Oh yay I’m sure that’ll be great!
I just made this and YUM-OLA!!!! Holy cow! I did have to increase the heavy cream because the mixture was still too powdery. But Holy Hot Chocolate, Batman!!
Oh nice! Ya it’s easy to tweak. It’s so rich and yum! Thanks for sharing!!
My daughter loved this recipe