Bake Gooey Apple Dump Cake Using Just 3 Ingredients!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Looking for a delicious way to use up fresh apples?
Cut them up and try baking this super easy apple dump cake that uses just three main ingredients! Dump cakes are some of the easiest dessert recipes around because essentially you’re just using a box of cake mix and a melted stick of butter to dump over fruit!
There really are so many fruit versions you could try, and this apple version is a perfect fall dessert to make for the family!
Once baked, the butter caramelizes over the cake mix and fruit to create a gooey warm cake-like dessert that is magical, especially when topped with some vanilla ice cream! The cinnamon apples are perfectly soft, while the yellow cake is sweet and browns nicely at the top. It’s SO good. 😋
Tips for making the BEST apple dump cake:
- I used red gala apples, and it turned out delish. I am sure you could use other similar varieties instead. If you wanted to use canned apple pie filling, that’d be wonderful and easy too.
- It’s an optional step to peel the apples. We have made it both ways and decided that we love the texture better peeled. I have an inexpensive stainless steel kitchen peeler like this one that works great for apples.
- The moisture from the apples should soak in with the cake mix but if you’re noticing the cake mix isn’t completely cooking, just sprinkle a little water over those areas and put back in the oven.
- I think this dessert tastes best when served warm with vanilla ice cream. The reheated leftovers are delicious as well.
- Make sure to check out our peach dump cake and pumpkin dump cake recipe variations, too!
3-Ingredient Apple Dump Cake
yield: 10 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 50 MINUTES
total time: 60 MINUTES
Warm gooey mash-up of apple pie and yellow cake that is outstanding served with ice cream. Such an easy dessert idea!
- 15.25 oz. box of yellow cake mix
- 6 cups of fresh apples, peeled & sliced (about 6 apples)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9×13 cake pan.
Slice apples and place them evenly in the pan. Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples. Place pan in the microwave for 3 minutes to soften apples before baking.
Sprinkle the cake mix over the apples. Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the cake mix.
Bake for about 45-50 minutes until the apples are tender and the cake gets nice and brown on top.
Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe Adapted from Come Together Kids.
I love this yummy mash-up of apple pie and yellow cake!
Apple dump cake is a simple dessert that my family loves, and it’s so easy that now my older kids can even make it by themselves. Better yet, it makes the house smell amazing and so comforting. We love clever cake mix hacks like this!
Check out what my teammate, Jenna, had to say after making this apple dump cake:
“I cannot say I’ve made a lot of dump cakes in my life, but this has me convinced I need to try more! I didn’t even have to go to the store to make it, I had all 3 ingredients right here. It’s perfect for fall, and all of the kids gave it two thumbs up, too.
The suggestion of ice cream is perfect. I love that all the apples need are some cinnamon – and the cake mix sweetens the whole thing. I LOVE the helpful process of microwaving the apples to soften them so you don’t have to bake any longer than the cake needs. This is a wonderful hack and I will definitely make it again!”
Still have some apples left? Make Instant Pot applesauce!
Just seen this recipe today and tried it. i just took it out of the oven it is delicious
So awesome to get feedback, thanks Janice!
Is it possible to make this low carb?
Anyone tried this w/ a GF cake mix? Or any dump cake w/ a GF cake mix? I have a GF angel food cake mix and a ton of apples from apple picking that I need to use. Wondering if that would work or be a total flop.
Could this be made in a crock pot?
That’s an interesting idea! I’m honestly unsure but could be fun to experiment with! Let us know if you try 👏
Instead of the cake mix, use Betty Crocker Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie mix (you won’t need the cinnamon and should be done in 40 minutes). You can thank me later☺.
Y-U-M! Thanks for the tip!