This Air Fryer Bloomin’ Onion Recipe is Simple & Delicious!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Love a restaurant-style Bloomin’ Onion?
Turns out, it’s pretty easy to make this Outback Steakhouse inspired Bloomin’ Onion copycat appetizer recipe at home using your air fryer! The process includes dredging the onion in flour, eggs, and then Panko breadcrumbs.
To take this bloomin’ onion to another level, make a tangy mayo and ketchup fry sauce for dipping. You’ll be set for a tasty homemade appetizer that’s just as delicious (but less greasy) than the traditional fried version!
Air Fryer Bloomin' Onion Recipe
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
Your family with LOVE this crispy onion appetizer and the delicious dipping sauce.
For the Onion:
- 1 yellow or white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk (or any milk)
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs (Italian Seasoned)
- 1/2 cup flour
- olive oil in cooking oil sprayer
For Dipping Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
Helpful tips when making a Blooming Onion in the Air Fryer:
- Don’t skip the flour coating process for the blooming onion. It helps create a base to ensure the Panko bread crumbs stick properly.
- While you don’t need a whole vat of oil for frying, spraying the entire outside of the breaded onion with cooking oil in an oil mister before air frying helps crisp up nicely!
- Cover the onion loosely with foil before cooking, or you’ll end up with a burnt outside and an uncooked inside.
What a yummy, crispy appetizer!
My family devoured this blooming onion, and we especially loved the tangy dipping sauce. I’ll admit, mine may have not turned out picture perfect like a lot of the air fryer recipes online, but it was really YUM regardless! I think you’ll really enjoy this delicious appetizer idea, too.