Butter Boards are All the Rage! Is This TikTok Trend Worth the Hype?
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Move over charcuterie boards, butter boards are having their moment!
If you keep up on the latest food trends on TikTok and Instagram. then you’ve likely seen how butter boards are the newest communal appetizer to consider serving at your next party or gathering. First, it was the charcuterie board, then dessert boards for every holiday, and now butter boards are gaining popularity.
Spoiler Alert: Yes I can confirm butter boards are delicious, because…well, butter! Serve them with some warm crusty bread and they’re insanely good. A butter board is an easy and unique food idea for upcoming holiday gatherings, so I am excited to share my version in the hopes it can inspire you!
What is a butter board?
Essentially it’s similar to compound butter with various herbs and “toppings” except. The difference is how butter boards are presented and spread on a wood board in an aesthetically pleasing way. Guests will then scoop up your softened butter masterpiece onto pieces of bread, crackers, or vegetable dippers.
The flavor combinations are endless and you can customize them to your taste and get creative. For instance, you can add various types of jams, herbs, nuts, edible flowers, salt, honey, and more! Justine Dorion’s viral TikTok video is the initial place on the internet that inspired me.
My board features sweet fig spread, roasted garlic cloves, chopped pistachios, arugula, and a drizzle of hot honey. The spicy sweet combo is so good spread on bread or crackers.
Fig and Honey Garlic Butter Board
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
Soften butter spread on a wood board with fig spread, roasted garlic, arugula, and a drizzle of hot honey.
Tips for making a showstopping butter board:
- I used a small wood cutting board, but you can use a plate or other small platter.
- Be sure your butter is softened enough to easily spread but not melted. If you forget, a hack that works is to heat a glass cup in the microwave and place it over the stick of butter. It quickly softens in a pinch.
- I loved the spicy hot honey drizzle on this board. We also like to use it on pizza. If you want to improvise with red pepper flakes instead, that could work too!
- I think the original intention of this appetizer is for guests to scrape the bread on the board. You could instead include a small knife for spreading if that’s easier for your dippers.
This idea is not limited to butter! Check out these spreadable variations:
- Bagel board: cream cheese, everything bagel seasoning, capers, and lox
- Hummus board: hummus, olive oil, pine nuts, olives, and feta cheese
- Goat cheese board: goat cheese, pesto drizzle, sundried tomatoes, chopped basil
- Peanut butter board: peanut butter, chocolate chips, M&M’s candy, caramel drizzle
I am a fan of this butter board idea and can’t wait to try other versions!!
Who doesn’t love delicious fancy butter? This is a beautiful way to present it. Plus, I think it’s an easy appetizer to serve alongside a loaf of crusty delicious bread. The idea of adding whatever herbs and jams you may already have on hand is so great too.