Homemade Angel Food Cake (You’ll Never Want Store-Bought Again!)
If you’ve never made an angel food cake from scratch, you have to try it as it tastes so good!
Despite the fact that this recipe calls for 12 egg whites and you have to pull out the mixer, it’s all worth it! I made this cake for my husband’s birthday earlier this week (it’s his all-time favorite dessert!).
Don’t let those egg yolks go to waste!
Since this recipe calls for 12 egg whites, you’ll have just as many leftover egg yolks. Don’t throw them away! Egg yolks can be kept in the freezer for up to a year until you’re ready to use them in another recipe.
Learn how to freeze your egg yolks, or try one of these other uses for your leftover yolks if you’d rather use them right away:
- Make cured egg yolks to be used as a garnish
- Easy 3-ingredient Crème Brulée
- Make a single serving of this 5-Minute Keto Chocolate Mug Cake
- Homemade Egg Noodles
- Make an egg wash using just the yolks to give your baked goods a beautiful golden hue or to help breading stick to your fried chicken
- Easy Keto Eggnog
- Make homemade ice cream
- 12-Yolk Pound Cake
- Make Hollandaise sauce
- Make lemon curd
- Looking for more ideas? Here are 125 recipes to use up your extra egg yolks!
Read on to see how to make the best homemade Angel Food Cake ever –
Homemade Angel Food Cake
yield: 16 SERVINGS
Light and fluffy cake, served up with fresh strawberries and whipped cream!
- 1 cup cake flour (or learn to make cake flour here)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Angel food cake pan
This angel food cake is a slice of heaven!
There’s nothing more classic than a light and airy piece of homemade angel food cake. I love that this is a blank canvas for however you’d like to serve this dessert!
Serve the cake with some fresh strawberries and whipped cream if desired. For a different variation, I sometimes serve angel food cake kabobs with cut up pieces of cake and strawberries. Melt some hazelnut spread in the microwave for a few seconds and drizzle with a spoon. Enjoy!