Old-Fashioned One-Pot Goulash Recipe
Need a comforting one-pot meal the entire family will enjoy?!
This Old-Fashioned One-Pot Goulash recipe is so delicious and easy to make with pantry staples you most likely already have on hand. It’s one of those meals you can definitely customize, season to taste, and add to as desired.
What is goulash?
Goulash (stemming from Hungarian) is a dish originating from medieval Hungary. This stew of meat and vegetables with spices is not only a popular Central European meal, but it’s one of the national dishes of Hungary. Today, goulash is made with beef, pork, or lamb cut into chunks, seasoned with salt, and then browned with onion in a pot with oil. Paprika is added, along with water or stock, and the goulash is left to simmer. A small amount of white wine or wine vinegar can also be added near the end of cooking to round the taste, but that’s totally optional (I didn’t include that in my recipe).
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
Make this easy goulash recipe that is hearty and filling! Kids love this pasta flavorful dish.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (15.oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (15oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 bay Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups elbow macaroni pasta, uncooked
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby/Cheddar)
- Topping with cheese at the end is optional but definitely makes it over the top YUMMY!
- The consistency turns out a little thicker like a casserole than a soup.
- The leftovers are so tasty, this is one of those recipes that’s perfect to batch cook on a Sunday and send out as lunch leftovers during the week! I also like having extras for dinner, served with bread and salad.
- You can even add flavors for an ethnic flair. For a taco-flavored goulash, add my taco seasoning blend recipe!
This was so good and a big hit at my house!
What an easy and comforting family meal. The leftovers were yummy, too! My kids even like this, and it’s such a fun meal for busy weeknights. Enjoy!
Try this Sheet Pan Chicken Pot Pie!