This Homemade Piñata Cake is Totally Instagram Worthy
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This piñata cake tastes like it’s from a bakery!
Ready to surprise all your guests at your next celebration?
If you’re like me, you’ve fallen in love with all of the amazing candy-filled piñata cakes on Pinterest and Instagram. But if you buy these cakes from a bakery, they are VERY pricey, so I thought I’d share this yummy dessert recipe to help you save some money while treating your family.
It might look like a normal cake from the outside but wait until you cut a slice out. Everyone will think you shelled out big money at a high-end bakery for the candy surprise inside, so go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back.
More on that surprise inside!
This cake is filled with a candy surprise… but it really is more of a surprise on how simple it is to make. I have broken down step-by-step on how to make your very own piñata candy cake. Be warned, everyone will be asking you to make one for them after they see how amazing it looks (and tastes)!
While this cake may appear to be overwhelming to make at first glance, it truly is much easier than it looks!
Tips for making the best Piñata Cake:
- I love baking my cakes the night before to make for simple assembly the next day. Just wrap the cakes in saran wrap, pop them in the fridge, and unwrap when ready to create your piñata cake!
- If you’re running short on time, then feel free to use store-bought frosting. But I will say that our delicious homemade buttercream frosting recipe is actually a cinch to make and can be whipped up a day ahead of time as well. I tripled it for this piñata cake.
- This cake is perfect for any and all occasions! You can use your favorite candies or seasonal varieties to fit the theme of a party.
Piñata Candy-Filled Cake
yield: 10 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 50 MINUTES
A delicious candy filled pinata cake that is homemade, but tastes like it's from a bakery.
Bakery-Style Cake From Boxed Cake Mix:
- 2 boxes of cake mix, any brand and flavor
- 10 eggs, divided
- 1 1/3 cup melted butter, divided
- 2 cups of milk, divided
Extras for the Piñata Cake:
This piñata cake will be the star of the celebration!
Now you can sit back and listen to all the OOOHHH’s and AAAHHHH’s of your delicious creation. Everyone will be talking about this cake for weeks after the celebration!
Check out what my teammate Melinda had to say about this cake recipe:
“I love this recipe! I’ve made this cake twice this year for both my daughter and son’s birthdays, and it’s such a hit. I am so impressed with how simple it is. The aesthetics make this cake look so professional and technical, but it’s actually super easy; any amateur baker can successfully make this cake. A crowd favorite for sure, especially among kids!”