This Sweet and Savory Pineapple Casserole Features… Cheddar Cheese!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Ever used cheddar cheese in a sweet dessert?!
Pineapple casserole, a popular southern-inspired potluck recipe, is made with canned pineapple, shredded cheddar cheese, and has a sweet, buttery crushed Ritz cracker topping. It can be served up alongside ham or pork chops as a sweeter side dish, or by itself as a unique dessert idea.
I had never heard of this classic recipe until recently, and have been intrigued by the idea of pineapple casserole ever since!
I’m now happy to report back, after adapting a version from this SouthernLiving.com recipe, that this idea actually makes such a yummy dish! If you’re like me and thought you’ve tried them all, this is definitely a unique casserole to make that’s surprisingly delicous and easy to put together.
The sweet pineapple pieces compliment the melted sharp cheddar cheese (yes, really!), and the crunchy cracker topping with lots of butter is delicious! I added a bit of cinnamon in the filling and topping for a yummy variation and loved it.
Hip tips for making the best pineapple casserole:
- Cheese always seems to melt better when you shred it yourself, so I highly recommend doing that with the cheddar cheese in this recipe. It may not melt as smoothly with pre-shredded cheese.
- You can use pineapple chunks, however in my research I found that many people preferred the softness of smaller pineapple tidbits.
- I used a medium-sized 2-quart casserole dish, but I am sure a square 9×9 pan or similar would work too.
- I think this would be a great grilling or camping idea if you prepped it ahead of time in a disposable pan and brought it along to cook over a campfire or grill with foil over the top!
- To crush the Ritz crackers, I just placed them in a Ziploc bag and then used a rolling pin to crush them. You could also use a food processor briefly to crush instead.
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 45 MINUTES
A sweet baked pineapple casserole with melted cheddar cheese and buttery cracker topping.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2- 20 oz. cans pineapple tidbits, drained with 4 tablespoons reserved juice
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- sleeve of Ritz Crackers, crushed (about 30 crackers)
Turns out pineapple casserole tastes amazing and we all enjoyed it! 🍍
It reminds me of a fruit cobbler somewhat, and your kitchen will smell AMAZING. This is an easy-to-make holiday or party side dish to share. Even with the interesting ingredient combo, I am sold on pineapple casserole! YUM.
Check out what my teammate Jenna had to say about pineapple casserole:
“I am a huge fan of sweet and savory, and to say I loved this would be an understatement. All the kids love pineapple but only one of them likes casserole… yet they all loved this (they called it pineapple “cake”). 😂 I loved every bite of this dish and think it will be especially great for summer!”