Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting (It’s Actually Easy to Make!)
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This pumpkin roll recipe makes the perfect fall dessert, and it’s easier than it looks to make… promise!
Welcome to the season of pumpkin everything! This classic pumpkin roll recipe is the ultimate fall dessert. Not only is it beautiful for serving to guests, but it’s decadently delicious, too.
The moist pumpkin cake is rolled around a sweet cream cheese frosting that’s absolutely to die for. This would be a perfect pumpkin dessert idea to bake for Thanksgiving, or even to enjoy as a brunch style treat on a weekend with coffee!
Eating keto? Be sure to check out our keto pumpkin roll recipe on Hip2Keto.com that’s similar to this one, but low in carbs and sugar!
Best of all, this pumpkin roll recipe is surprisingly easy to make at home!
Honestly, I’ve always been a little bit intimidated by the rolling aspect of this dessert, so I had never tried making a pumpkin roll until my husband requested one. This was his childhood favorite, so I called my mother in law and had her talk me through it!
Here are my tried and true tips for making a perfect pumpkin roll:
- The perfect sized pan for this is a 15″x10″x1″ jelly roll pan. I tried a larger pan and it was too thin and was a fail, just FYI! 😂 By the way, the USA pan I’m linking to is amazing. My sidekick Amber actually did a whole review of these pans over on our sister site, Hip2Ket.com.
- Getting the cake to form into a roll can be a little tricky, but still easy. Don’t skip the step of rolling up the cake while it’s still warm using parchment paper. This allows the cake to cool and hold the roll shape, making sure it doesn’t crack when re-rolling it together with the frosting.
- Interested in creating your own pumpkin spice seasoning blend for all your fall baking? Check out this homemade pumpkin spice recipe I used in my cake!
- Need ideas on what to do with the leftover open can of pumpkin puree? Consider whipping up a warm homemade pumpkin spice latte, or making some pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars!
- Want to add in chopped nuts to the cake? My husband actually prefers this pumpkin roll with 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts to the cake batter. That’s a great add-in to consider!
Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting
yield: 10 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 35 MINUTES
Bake this delicious pumpkin roll with cream cheese frosting for your fall holiday celebrations, or even for a cozy night in.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice seasoning
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of butter
Put this pumpkin roll on your fall bucket list!
What a beautiful pumpkin recipe, and it doesn’t take a ton of ingredients and effort either!
Bake a yummy pumpkin roll, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy this luscious, creamy, classic fall treat!
This is what my teammate Jenna had to say after baking this pumpkin roll:
I have honestly never made a roll cake because I found it rather intimidating. But oh my goodness, this was so easy and FUN! And the flavor is awesome! All of the kids loved it, too. The steps are super helpful. Even with being new to roll cakes, this turned out perfectly thanks to the in-depth directions!