Crispy Smashed Burger Tacos are Trending and So Tasty!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This creative mashup of cheeseburgers and tacos is TikTok famous for a reason! Your family will love crispy smash burger tacos.
Fire up the griddle to try the latest buzzy food trend for dinner! 🍔🌮
What happens when you combine two family favorite meals- burgers and tacos? You get an incredible mash-up of flavor and textures, and I am recommending you give this a try soon. I first spotted this idea from Instagram creator Sam Schnur and thought it was so smart and wanted to create it for my family.
We loved this Big Mac-style smashed burger taco idea, however, you can make these and top them with whatever cheese and toppings you prefer! They are very easy to customize to taste.
Smashing a tortilla on top of ground beef using a hot griddle yields mouthwatering results!
The meat gets seared nicely, and the grease from the ground beef makes the tortilla nice and crispy. Because it’s so thin, the burger cooks on both sides quickly. The whole process is less than three minutes. I used the griddle on my stove, but you can use a skillet or try making a bunch on your outdoor Blackstone griddle if you have one!
Then top it with cheese and any other desired toppings for an insanely delicious smashed burger taco experience.
Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 16 MINUTES
total time: 26 MINUTES
This smashed burger on a tortilla is a crispy flavorful mash-up of tacos and burgers for a creative take on these handheld favorites.
For the copycat Big Mac sauce:
- 1/2 cup real mayo
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons sweet relish
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped white onion
For the smash burger tacos:
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 12 sliced dill pickles
- 3/4 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
Mix Big Mac-inspired sauce ingredients together and set aside.
Heat up a skillet or griddle to med/high heat. Separate a ball of 1/4 pound of ground beef.
Add the ground beef to the hot skillet and season with salt and pepper as desired.
Smash a tortilla on top of the meat until flat using a large spatula or a grill press with a handle. Cook for a couple of minutes until browned.
Turn the tortilla and burger over using a spatula. Add a slice of cheese and cover it with a pan lid. Cook for about another minute until melted.
Remove from the griddle and top with onion, sauce, a few pickles, and lettuce. Fold and eat like a taco.
Tips for making smashed burger tacos:
- Worried about the raw beef touching the tortilla? I was too! Honestly, this is the part of this trend I was unsure about. It turns out that because you are pressing the meat so thin, it does cook through both sides quickly. In fact, these are easy to overcook. I burnt the first one I pressed on the griddle. It will be cooked in less than three minutes.
- Use a cast iron skillet or griddle for best results. I love the crisp texture it provides, and the tortilla will have that mouthwatering fried quesadilla texture.
- I made our smashed burger tacos with 6-inch flour tortillas, but this idea will work with corn tortillas. Just be sure it’s bigger than the smashed burger.
- Will other ground meat work? This idea is shown with 85/15 ground beef, but am sure ground turkey would work instead. Just be sure to maybe grease the pan or griddle first to avoid sticking. I am thinking ground sausage would be a fantastic breakfast version topped with scrambled eggs and salsa! Yum.
It’s official! Combining two handheld favorites is a smashing idea!
I can now see why this is so popular. The texture of the tortilla is my favorite part. It’s very similar to a melted crisp quesadilla. The ground beef is crispy too and overall with all the toppings, it’s delish. I can’t wait to try other veggie cheese combos in the future. It’s kinda messy to eat, yet tastes so GOOD and is very easy.
Have you tried smashed burger tacos? Let us know in the comments!
Try using Hawaiian rolls to make Big Mac sliders for a crowd next!
Looks yummy, thanks Lina we are going to try this one.
Oh good! Enjoy!
I tried this and love it! Very good, however, mine was a bit messier than Lina’s 🙂 We threw together a salad and dinner was done in no time! I’d recommend trying this. It was fun and easy to do.
Oh yay! Yum! I want to try this again soon! Hungry now haha
Stovetop will be COVERED in grease. Clean up of grease will take longer than the prep and eating of meal.