How to Save Money on Groceries to Beat Rising Food Prices
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Wondering how to save money on groceries with rising food prices? Check these tips out!
Grocery prices giving you a scare? 😱👻
Fall decor isn’t the only thing frightening us lately. Even in the fall of 2022, inflation is still causing the price of everything to spike, and rising food prices are no exception. So, it begs the question: how DO you save money on groceries nowadays?
What’s even scarier is that while grocery prices are leaving us with empty wallets, you’re just as likely to walk away from the store empty-handed thanks to empty shelves across the nation.
Here’s why experts say we’re seeing rising food prices and empty shelves:
Since June 2021, grocery prices have risen by 10.4% (the largest increase since 1981). This is largely in part due to low inventory thanks to supply chain issues, shipping delays, and staffing shortages.
However, other factors such as the effects of COVID-19 on the economy, bad weather, poor crop yields, and strong demand have all contributed to this rise. Unfortunately, there’s no end in sight to this trend of rising food prices.
Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place! Here are our BEST tips on how to save money on groceries:
- Remember coupons?! They really can save you a lot of money on groceries, and we make couponing easy by sharing all the top coupon deals here.
- You’ve heard this before, but meal planning is key! Study the weekly ads, make a list, and be prepared to go to more than one store to get what you need until the supply chain turmoil subsides.
- Follow these tips to save money on fresh produce.
- Reduce food waste by freezing unused dairy products.
- Visit our sister site Hip2Keto for clever ways to save money on meat.
- Shop the discount grocery stores in your area, like ALDI. While their prices are increasing too, you’ll still pay significantly less on so many items compared to traditional grocery stores.
- Save money on produce, meat, dairy, and more at your local farmer’s market.
- Try these tricks to save money on adult beverages.
- Use one of our favorite money-saving apps like Ibotta, Fetch, or Coupons.com to earn cashback on your grocery purchases.
- Take advantage of Amazon’s Subscribe & Save discount to save on household essentials and groceries without leaving home.
And our readers have come up with some great suggestions too:
Grocery pick-up and not having to take kids shopping with me that way I only get what is needed. – Angela
Buy a whole or half of a cow from a farmer. – Alisha
Use your freezer! Put leftovers in the freezer instead of the fridge. Can still warm up, if needed for lunches, but lasts much longer and can be used for meals on busy nights. – Beth
Meal plan around grocery store sales. Put snacks up high so kids can’t plow through them every 5 minutes 😂 – Christina
Anyone else feeling the sting of empty shelves and rising food prices? Help out our Hip2Save community and share with us in the comments how you save money on groceries.