Helpful Tips On How To Get The Best Deals on Black Friday
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
The Black Friday 2019 deals will be here before you know it.
Every retailer is competing for your business on Black Friday, a.k.a. the biggest shopping event of the year. So how do you know which promotions are worth your hard-earned money? We’ve rounded up smart ways to get the best deals come November 29th.
1. Watch for ad scan leaks.
Stores start to release their Black Friday ads leading up to the massive shopping event. This gives you plenty of time to make note of the deals you’d like to score, helps you start planning your budget, and lets you plan your anticipated store route.
Check out our ad release predictions from 2018 for an idea of potential releases this year.
2. Compare deals across multiple retailers.
Did you know we do all the heavy lifting for you when it comes to comparing the best prices on Black Friday deals? As the shopping date nears, we’ll release our comparison sheet which lists the pricing and stores for the available deals.
3. Price match where possible.
Price matching is great for a few reasons:
- It saves you a trip to multiple stores.
- It allows you to use specific store credit cards or gift cards in your wallet.
- You can use a rewards account at a store that has better benefits over another.
A few stores offering price matching include Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and Kohl’s – but call the store ahead of time to make sure they honor price matching for Black Friday deals. Also, ask about any restrictions or additional details to their policy that could apply.
4. Bring a friend along to beat quantity minimums.
Say bye-bye to “limit 1 per customer” policies when you bring another person along for your shopping journey. You can help each other get multiples of your favorite deals (so long as you BOTH don’t want the same ones). Plus, it’s always more fun shopping with a friend!
5. Use discounted gift cards to sweeten the deal.
Stretch your potential savings by using discounted gift cards on your purchase. Sites like Raise.com and eBay are great for finding savings on retailer credit, but you’ll want to be sure you can use the card for in-store purchases rather than only online orders. You can also check out our site’s deals on discounted gift cards.
6. Know each store’s deal specialty.
Historically, certain stores have offered the best deals in different product categories (specifically with JCPenney, Macy’s, and Kohl’s offering the highest percentage of in-store savings). Here’s which deals some popular stores are known for:
- JCPenney: best deals for clothing & shoes
- Office Depot and OfficeMax: best deals on computers
- Best Buy: best deals on electronics
- Amazon & Target: best deals on toys
- Macy’s & Kohl’s: best deals on small appliances
- CVS, Walgreens,& Rite-Aid: best deals on stocking stuffers
7. Be polite and respectful of store associates.
Store associates cut their holiday short and do their best to maintain a safe and successful shopping experience for customers. A little kindness goes a long way, especially when the product you’re searching for is out of stock, but the employee you treated with respect remembers a couple of extra units in the back inventory room.
Not that you shouldn’t always be respectful to retail workers… just try to be a touch extra kind on Black Friday. Everyone wins!