Decorate for Less Using Our Ultimate List of DIY Home Decor Projects
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Transform your space with our round-up of some of the best DIY home decor projects!
Add a personal touch to your home with these DIY home decor projects!
Do you love crafting? How about saving money? These fun DIY home decor ideas may help you spruce up your home for a little bit less! 🙌
Here at Hip2Save, we love to DIY. That’s why we made this comprehensive list of our favorite DIY home decorating projects! We cover everything from shelving installation to holiday decorations. If you’re ready to redecorate and do it yourself, try one of these innovative ideas!
🛠 Update your space with these 15 easy DIY home decor ideas:
1. Keep your tables ring-free with DIY beer coasters.
We love DIY projects that are also practical! Are you a beer lover? Celebrate your favorite adult beverage with these DIY beer coasters. Make them for yourself or give them as a gift to your favorite beer drinker.
2. Show off your artistic talent with textured DIY canvas art.
Artwork can be expensive, but luckily there are ways to decorate your walls on a budget. This canvas art project is one of our favorite frugal DIY home decor ideas! The effect is made using drywall joint compound and spreading tools. Not only is this project easy, but the finished piece is so unique!
3. Make these thrift store DIY vases to get Pottery Barn vibes without the prices.
Who wants to spend $100 on a vase? Skip Pottery Barn and head to your local thrift store instead. With just a little bit of spray paint and wet dirt, you can transform an old vase into one that looks much more expensive. Follow our tutorial to make this fun DIY home decorating project.
4. Fool your guests with a faux-stone finish.
Thanks to spray paint, you can turn a plastic bowl stand from Dollar Tree into a luxurious-looking piece of home decor. We love the finished look of this easy home decor DIY project!
5. Upcycle an old thread hanger into the perfect jewelry organizer.
DIY doesn’t get any easier than this nifty idea! Simply use a thread hanger as your jewelry organizer instead of its intended purpose. The pegs are the perfect spot to hang your favorite baubles and bracelets. Plus, you’ll be able to see all your jewelry easily versus having to dig through a jewelry box.
6. Use PVC pipes to make a modern wine rack (or try one of our other 6 DIY wine rack ideas).
If modern is your style, you’ll love this DIY wine rack! Not only is it eye-catching, but it’s super affordable too! You just need PVC pipes, PVC glue, spray paint, and sandpaper. The pipes are already the perfect size for holding wine bottles and that’s why this simple rack is one of our favorite DIY home decorating ideas!
7. Honor your favorite memories with a DIY photo canvas.
With the help of Mod Podge, you can make an affordable photo canvas for your picture wall. To have one professionally made from Walgreens costs at least $39 dollars. We estimate you can save around $30 by making your photo canvas yourself instead!
8. Show off your urban style with these DIY industrial pipe shelves.
If you love a modern, urban, or even a farmhouse style, this rustic industrial pipe shelving is the DIY home decor project for you! We love the clean and stunning look of these shelves. They are easy on the wallet and look great in almost any room!
8. Install a sconce without any wiring.
Save yourself the hassle of calling an electrician. This easy DIY project allows you to hang a sconce without any wiring at all! Best of all, you’ll have your new light installed within 15 minutes!
9. Track your adventures with this DIY push-pin travel map.
Calling all travelers! This fun project is a DIY home decor idea made for adventurous families. Make a DIY push-pin map using a laminated placemat and a corkboard. It’s the perfect way for adventurers to remember all the special places they’ve visited.
10. For around $11, you can make this pretty moss rock wreath.
If you love farmhouse-style decor, this moss rock wreath is right up your alley! It’s made primarily with supplies from the Dollar Store so it’s not only pretty, but it’s economical, too!
11. Speaking of farmhouse-style decor, have you tried making our DIY decorative orbs?
12. Brighten your home with these budget-friendly DIY lanterns.
Light your house up with a luxurious-looking lantern! With a little help from a glue gun, you can create these stunning lanterns using Dollar Store picture frames. It’s an easy DIY and it only costs about $6!
13. Channel your inner Joanna Gaines and try making this pretty wreath that’s a perfect Magnolia copycat.
If you’re wild about Joanna Gaines’s style, give this easy DIY wreath a try! All you need is faux magnolia leaves, floral tape, a wreath form, and a hot glue gun. This simple wreath will have your front door looking Magnolia-worthy.
14. For about $20, you can make this charming farmhouse sign.
This rustic sign fits well with any farmhouse-style decor and you don’t even need a fancy craft machine to make it! Follow our instructions to create one of your own – we include the free printable!
15. Make a DIY front porch sign like Hip2Save reader, Christine.
We love this DIY front porch sign from Hip2Save reader, Christine. She used Dollar Tree supplies and cull wood to create a high-end look for less. If you want to welcome your guests in style, check out Christine’s DIY instructions and learn how to make one of these beautiful signs for your home.
🌱 Bring your space to life with these 6 easy DIY planters:
1. Make your own concrete planters for just $1.
2. Make this fun planter with some wreath rings from the Dollar Store.
We love this unique DIY planter. It’s ideal for displaying faux plants and it’s super easy to make! Follow our instructions to have an eye-catching planter of your own.
3. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this hanging planter.
Short on floor space? Don’t worry! This DIY hanging planter is just what you need. It takes 5 minutes to make and costs less than $1!
4. Use ceramic tiles to make a gorgeous decorative planter.
Show off your personal style with this creative DIY. Glue ceramic tiles together to make a beautiful decorative planter. This project is a perfect way to repurpose those extra ceramic tiles you may have been storing.
5. Decorate your patio with this gorgeous DIY succulent wall.
This stunning planter wall is perfect for hanging your favorite succulents. We love how this eye-catching planter can elevate any patio space!
6. Maximize your space with a stacked herb garden.
Want an herb garden but don’t have much space? This DIY herb garden project shows you how to stack your pots so you can grow your own small garden using minimal space.
Hip Tip: Like the look of marble? Make your own “marble planter” with just a little bit of spray paint!
🎄 Decorate for the season with these 25 festive DIY home decor ideas:
1. Hosting a party? Learn how to decorate your home with a DIY balloon arch!
Decorate like a pro! Your guests will love this eye-catching DIY balloon arch that can be used at birthdays, baby showers, bachelorette parties, or any holiday celebration. It’s easy to make and it looks great in photos!
2. Honor the 4th of July with a DIY flag pallet.
Celebrate all things red, white, and blue with an outdoor painted flag DIY project! This pallet made to look like the American flag can be used for years to come!
3. These Fourth of July votive holders are a cinch to make!
Add a little glow to your holiday with these DIY votive holders. Use them to decorate your table, mantle, deck, or patio.
4. Give off spooky vibes this Halloween with a DIY bat wreath.
Celebrate the spooky season with a bat wreath. Your trick-or-treaters will appreciate this haunting decoration that takes just 10 minutes to make.
5. Repurpose your tomato cages to make these ghostly Halloween decorations.
When summer comes to end, don’t throw out your tomato cages. Use them to make these DIY ghost decorations! You just need a tomato cage, a black marker, a white sheet, and a string of white lights. These do-it-yourself Halloween decorations are super cute and super cheap!
6. Create a stunning fall centerpiece using tissue and Dollar Tree pumpkins.
Decorate your table, porch, or favorite room with these decoupage pumpkins. Use tissue paper to create a display that matches your style. All you need is tissue paper, Mod Podge, paint, and pumpkins. Most of these supplies are available from the Dollar Store, which makes this one of our favorite frugal DIY projects.
7. Like shabby chic? Turn a Dollar Tree pumpkin into a charming fall decoration.
If you love rustic decorations, this cheap DIY project was made with you in mind. Use a little Plaster of Paris and some paint to transform Dollar Store pumpkins into the perfect fall decoration.
8. Spoil the birds with a DIY pumpkin bird feeder.
Animal lovers will appreciate this DIY bird feeder that’s perfect for autumn. Hang your pumpkin using wooden rods and rope. Then, fill it with birdseed and get ready for birdwatching.
9. Transform your front door into a jack-o-lantern decoration.
Make a statement at Halloween! This DIY Halloween decoration will catch the eyes of the neighborhood. It’s easy to create using orange wrapping paper, black poster board, and fake spiderwebs.
10. For an eerie esthetic, make skull candlesticks.
It’s amazing what a little spray paint can do! Create creepy skull candlesticks using LED lights, cheap plain plastic skulls, and a can of Rust-Oleum spray paint. Follow our instructions to add these unique DIY skulls to your Halloween collection.
11. These DIY floating witch hats make Halloween a little more magical.
How cool are these floating witch hats? 🙌 Use fishing wire to create your own! This Halloween decoration is truly magical! It’s the perfect DIY home decor for your next Halloween party.
12. Scare your trick-or-treaters with this DIY head-in-a-jar decoration.
Make use of your old Halloween masks by turning them into creepy decorations! This Halloween DIY is one for the books! You’ll give your Halloween party guests and trick-or-treaters the heebie-jeebies when you display these spooky jars.
13. Achieve a Pottery Barn look for less with this nifty DIY idea.
Use paint to mimic the look of Pottery Barn for a fraction of the cost. If you love the look of these terracotta pumpkins, follow our DIY instructions to make your own!
14. Go for gold by spray painting your way to a fancy-looking Halloween display.
Jazz up your holiday table with golden pumpkins. This pretty DIY centerpiece gives you a luxurious look for less! Apply a little gold spray paint and no one will believe you got these pumpkins from Dollar Tree. You can also spray paint Dollar Tree leaf garlands and fall-themed dishes. Add these to your display and you’ve got a complete look!
15. Decorate your walls this Autumn using this DIY string art project.
16. Create a winter centerpiece using this nostalgic DIY idea.
Make these throwback pomander balls using cloves and oranges. It’s a fun and easy holiday craft that the whole family can do together!
17. Decorate your tree with DIY applesauce ornaments.
Looking for a Christmas craft to do with the kids? Try making these cinnamon applesauce ornaments. This simple DIY always gets us in the holiday spirit!
18. Use our FREE printable to make this DIY Christmas sign.
This simple DIY produces a pretty spectacular holiday sign, and it’s super affordable thanks to our free printable. Simply print the sign and use our magnetic hanger hack to display it in your home!
19. Use Dollar Store supplies to create a winter or Christmas centerpiece.
20. Design your own Christmas ornaments using embroidery hoops.
Add a touch of your personality to the Christmas tree this year! This DIY home decor project can be completely customized to fit your tastes. Not only are they adorable, but these charming Christmas ornaments can be appreciated year after year!
21. Celebrate fall and winter with a DIY reversible sign.
22. Are you a fan of Rae Dunn? These DIY ornaments are calling your name.
Calling all Rae Dunn fans! If you love her aesthetic, you’ll love these DIY ornaments. They are easy to make with the help of a Cricut or other vinyl-cutting machine. Plus, they look fantastic with farmhouse decor!
23. Adorn your front door with this ornamental wreath.
You’ll never guess this fancy DIY Christmas wreath was made with Dollar Tree ornaments! Though Lina only spent $7 to make hers, this pretty Christmas wreath glimmers like real gold.
24. Dress up a candle for the winter holidays.
Give your favorite candle a glow-up this holiday season! Use common craft supplies like hot glue, buttons, twine, and pipe cleaners to transform a candle into a winter-themed decoration. This adorable DIY idea never gets old and it also makes the perfect gift! For candle decorating ideas, read our step-by-step instructions.
25. Repurpose a candle jar to create a winter snow globe.
Don’t toss that old candle jar! Reuse it instead! Make this DIY snow globe using simple craft supplies you can find at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. See our tutorial to learn how to clean your jar, remove its label, and create a globe of your own.
Want a beautifully scented home? Learn how to make your own stovetop potpourri!